Saturday, July 7, 2012

Organic Abstraction

     The image above is of a piece of wood I found on my walk home from class. For a few days I was working on abstracting this piece of wood in a similar manner that the artist I researched would, Milton Stricker, for my 103 Interior Design class.  I made about 60 abstractions of this piece of wood, when was was abstracting it, I kept in mind two quotes of my artist, Milton Stricker. One of them was
       "The final design test: is the building beautiful, in harmony
        with its surrounding, and does it fiction well?"
Milton Stricker,
and the other quote was
       "Organic design is compounded of a multiple of the abstracted design elements
        and then reunified into a new dimension defining art, structure, and human values."
Milton Stricker,
 
     Keeping in mind these quotes, I believe helped keep my abstraction down a similar road to my artist style of abstracting. I  chose 3 of the 60 abstraction to work on further in my design process, to create some 3-dimensional abstractions.

     The following abstractions are a combination of many of my earlier abstractions I worked on. Then I reflected on them to come up with these 3 more developed abstractions. 
  
     This abstraction has many similar elements to my artist. I used red and green hues, strong vertical, and diagonal elements, and patterneds influenced by the shape of the piece of wood.

The pattern is similar to Milton Strickers' Taliesin West Abstraction.    









     This abstraction has strong horizontal elements with free flowing lines. The white void space complements the different hues of green and red, as well as the black bordering lines. It has similar elements to the abstraction below.

This abstraction is similar to Milton Strickers' abstraction of Mount Saint Helens.









     The abstraction has horizontal, diagonal, nonobjective, rhythm elements, and emphasis through the use of color. It gives a calm, relaxing look, and it has a complementary color scheme and different hues of those colors.












I hope to narrow down these abstraction to one or even a combination of all three, with my 3-D design phases.

Uris Giron

No comments:

Post a Comment